Sunday 30 October 2011

Red Heart TattooRed Heart Tattoo by Lurlene McDaniel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first book I’ve read by Larlene McDaniel, I was given a copy to review through NetGallery and find myself now trying to write a review. Larlene has written many novels as far as I can tell, she writes about love, loss, death, illness, and trauma that young people face today face.

The story starts with the explosion, 7:45 am a bomb goes off at Edison High, the explosion happened in a nanosecond, bursting first with a brilliant flash of white, followed by deafening roar....when the blast was over nothing that existed before would ever be the same.pg1

We are introduced to Morgan, high school president, her boyfriend Trent, football player, her best friend Kelli, and of course Roth, who has a reputation of the bad boy status who happens to have a wild crush on Morgan and Liza who is madly in love with Roth.

The book explores the main characters and the author gives us a view of what their life’s are like before the explosion and how it affects their lifes after.

This book touches on what it is like for high school students, not just the popular ones we get a bird’s eye view on the one’s standing off on the sidelines. The struggles youth have today with just being different. It is a good story and Larlene McDaniel does a great job of writing this book, she makes you hope Morgan can move on and be happy, you end up loving Roth and you feel bad for Liza and you want the best for them. If an author can do that with her writing I say she is a great writer.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading y/a novels.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I love Lurlene McDaniel, I've been reading her stuff since I was 11. She's an amazing YA writer... her books tend to be tear jerkers though. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete