Friday 2 December 2011

Something DifferentSomething Different by S.A. Reid

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Something Different by S.A. Reid

GOODREADS BOOK DESCRIPTION:

Tired of his life's endless grind, family man Michael Maguire allows himself one night of deviation. Desperate for something different, he seeks a prostitute in notorious Brixton Park. But Michael, searching for a girl out of PRETTY WOMAN, instead finds blue-eyed, beautiful James Campbell. Tempted and stirred in ways he never imagined, Michael embarks on a sexual adventure with a rent boy from London's infamous Bethnal Green. And what begins as a purely sexual exchange gradually transforms into something else, as James finds himself in desperate circumstances and Michael is moved to help. Drawn increasingly to James, Michael finds himself facing up to the iniquities in his daily life. And finally he must deal with a horror that threatens to explode Michael's safe, conventional existence.

MY REVIEW:

This is the first book I’ve read by S.A. Reid she has an easy to read writing style and she tells a great story. I am definitely looking forward to reading more by this author. Something Different is told from both of the main characters point of view and was easy to follow, which is very important. I found myself really pulling for James and Michael right in the beginning. This is a truly a HEA m/m romance story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

We are first introduced to a man named Michael Maguire as the story unfolds you can sense the struggles he has with his life, work, home, children and marriage. One day Michael decides to step outside the box of what he calls his life and goes into the park where people pay for fast anonymous sex. As he is sitting there watching a young woman and older man disappear into the washroom he is approached by young man named James. James the cute rent boy with a great smile mentions to Michael that he has some great skills and can do anything a woman could do for him and possible even better. Michael seems to think about this and his options and decides to go with it and ends up taking James to the Holiday Inn.

This story is about the relationship that develops between Michael, a technical writer and James, Rent boy. Like I mentioned earlier the story is told by both points of view and is captivating, I couldn’t put the book down. The character development was great and made you like both of the character right away. 

This is not like Pretty Woman type of book where he comes in a swoops James off his feet, Michael help James to accomplish some important things in his life and makes him feel like he deserves these things. As for James he also contributes to their relationship in many ways by giving Michael the power and control to run his own life, becoming a new confident happier man. Both these men never seemed to smile till the met each other.

I also really appreciated how the author touched the subject of sexual abuse and to me was very realistic, I was glad to see how she wrote there is no difference in feeling of loss of control and or having no power being sexually abused by a woman or man.

Ok so in ending my review I want to thank the author S.A. Reid for giving the m/m romance group the chance to read and review your book. It means a lot when an author takes her hard work and gives it to the readers to review at no cost. So thank you very much for this opportunity.

I would recommend this book to all my friends who enjoy reading m/m romance. This book is not about sex this book about falling in love.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Great review, this looks intriguing, I plan to add it to my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for reading my review Kimba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, I really appreciate the review, Tana!

    ReplyDelete