Wednesday 27 June 2012

First Visions (Second Sight #1) by Heather Topham Wood - Interview & Review




Two years ago, 21-year-old Kate Edwards became deathly ill and slipped into a coma. While unconscious, she crept into the mind of a missing boy and awoke with the knowledge of his location. Friends and family were skeptical and wary of her new ability to see into the minds of others. Their fears prompted Kate to keep her psychic powers a secret. Feeling alienated, she dropped out of college and spent most of her days holed up at her mother’s home.

Now another child has been abducted. Police detective Jared Corbett seeks out Kate for her help in solving the case.

Reluctantly, Kate agrees and they must work together to bring 8-year-old Cori Preston home to her family. Although attracted to one another, Jared has a girlfriend with ties to the abduction case and Kate is sarcastic and guarded since her coma. With visions she can’t control and an uncontrollable attraction to the detective, she wonders if she can leave the past behind and finally stop hiding from the world. Otherwise, Cori may be lost forever.


My Review:
First Visions by Heather Topham Wood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed First Visions written by Heather Topham Wood, her writing was great, and she made me laugh out loud at Kate’s funny and sarcastic dialogue. I’ve always said it takes a great writer to make a reader feel actual emotions while reading a book, and Heather does this well.

We are introduced to Kate; she is a bit of a recluse caused by the media attention she received when she had a vision of where a kidnapped boy was being held. Kate had contracted meningitis and fell into a coma when she woke up she told the police what she had dreamt. Once the media got a hold of this information they wouldn’t leave her alone. Withdrawing from people she decided it was safer staying away plus who wants to go out and see people staring at you thinking you are a freak. The turmoil Kate has lived through has made her witty, sarcastic and speaks her mind, you end up really laughing at some of the comments she makes.

When another child goes missing in walks Jared, a police detective who pleads with Kate to help him, Kate at first denies her talent, the last thing she wants to happen again is to be in the middle of a media circus. Deep down Kate knows she has to try to help Jared and decides it’s time to stop denying her gift and figure out a way to help without letting out her secret. Plus did I mention Jared is very sexy looking.

This book has some great dialogue between Jared and Kate, the friendship and feelings you see start to develop are great. But like everything in life nothing comes that easy for Kate. First she knows Jared has a girlfriend, she knows she needs to get out more and socialize with people her own age. Taking the steps towards opening herself up, trusting that Jared is going to keep his word and no matter what keep her name out of the investigation………… Kate tries to venture out of her comfort zone.

This is a fantastic read; you have a touch of mystery/suspense as your always hoping the find the kidnapped girl. Then you have Kate who is trying to take the step to start living her life again. And just to add some spice to this you have an attraction between Jared and Kate. I have rated First Vision 4.5 stars and cannot wait to read the next book in this series. I highly recommend anyone reading this to go purchase a copy of First Visions.


Welcome Heather to my Blog and now, enjoy the interview! 


1. Did you always want to be a writer? And what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing as long as I can remember and recently found stories I wrote as far back as elementary school. I didn’t grow up in the greatest of circumstances and I think I relied on my stories as a way to escape from real life. I’ve done freelance article writing since college and recently felt the need to return to my roots as a fiction author.

2. How would you describe First Visions?

It’s an upper YA novel about a detective and psychic coming together to locate a missing child. I tried to combine a few genres to create an interesting and fun read. There is a paranormal element since Kate is psychic along with a mystery component because of the child’s abduction. And of course, I couldn’t leave out the romance. Kate finds herself attracted to the detective working on the case although he’s unavailable.

3.  Which character you had most fun writing?

By far, Kate. She’s like this little voice in the back of my head that I can’t get rid of. Many of her remarks are usually something I’m thinking, but would never have the nerve to say. She’s snarky which lets me have a lot of fun with her dialogue. But she also has a soft and vulnerable side which is enjoyable to write as well.

4.  What was your main source of inspiration for the story?

My very lovely grandmother passed away last year and I found a collection of my old writings in her home. When in high school I wrote a short story about a psychic who helped find an abducted child. I took some of the concepts from this story and expanded on it to create First Visions.

5.   What should readers expect from First Visions?

The book is definitely not your typical YA paranormal romance. Although some of the subjects are very serious, I tried to inject as much humor as possible in the appropriate spots. I also tried to create a realistic main character who is flawed, but relatable. I’m not a fan of books with bland main characters who don’t know their own minds.

6.   What books have most influenced your life most?

I’ve read so many amazing books in my life, that’s a challenging question to answer. The books I find the most influential are the types that inspire you in some way. It may be a marathon reading of Jane Austen books or a trashy romance with a half-dressed hero and heroine on the cover. A few standouts for me include The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and Ethereal by Addison Moore.

7.   What are your current projects?

I’m working hard on the sequel to First Visions and have an outline and several chapters completed. This novel introduces a new psychic that offers to help Kate control her visions, but he has his own ulterior motives. I also have outlined two additional YA novels separate from the Second Sight series.

8.   Do you see writing as a career?

Not for a very long time. I remember when I received an English degree from college, one of the graduation speakers even quipped, “Now good luck finding a job.” I floundered for a long time in college and changed majors three times. English turned out to be the only thing that seemed a good fit.

9.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I always wanted to be a writer, but it’s just not typically considered a practical career choice. You tend to receive the same looks if you also say you want to be a musician or an actress. After college, I began taking on freelance writing projects and realized I could bring home a substantial supplemental income with the jobs. Eventually I segued way into working full-time as an article and magazine writer. However, I never gave up my love of novels and now hope to focus on this type of writing as much as humanly possible.

10.  Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

The readers and reviewers of First Visions have been absolutely amazing. I’m embarrassed to say I even teared up after a few very flattering reviews. They’ve encouraged me to keep writing and are looking forward to the sequel.

11.  What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Editing! However, I was lucky enough to find an editor I really enjoyed working with and who helped get the book to the place I wanted it to be.  

12. Any last thoughts or words of wisdom you would like to share with the readers?

Don’t let life get in the way of following your dreams. I put off working on my novels for a long time and it’s one of my biggest regrets. Even if I only have an hour to spare, I now make sure I use that time writing.

Author Bio

Heather Topham Wood graduated from the College of New Jersey in 2005 and holds a bachelor's degree in English. Working full-time as a freelance writer for publications such as USA Today, Livestrong.com, Outlook by the Bay and Step in Style magazine, she writes fiction novels in her spare time. She resides in Trenton, New Jersey with her husband and two sons. Besides writing, Heather is a pop culture fanatic and has an obsession with supernatural novels and TV shows.
First Visions is the first book in the Second Sight series.





3 comments:

  1. Thanks Tana! I appreciate you taking the time to do the interview and the review, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping bye Heather, can't wait for the next book in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book reviews such as this will help people to know if the books are worth reading. Thank you for sharing your valuable insights.

    online english degree

    ReplyDelete